Re: [SI-LIST] : Terminations scheme for bi-directional bus

Roy McCammon ([email protected])
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 17:23:56 -0500

I had a similar problem. Nineteen inches of bus. Sixteen
modules that could be placed in any position on the bus
or be missing. 74ACxx and 74HCxx logic. In my case, the
following worked for me:
1. Minimized the trace on the module between the connector
and the transceiver to minimize extra capacitance.
2. Series terminate of one half the expected loaded
bus impedence.
3. Parallel terminate the busses for twice the expected
unloaded impedence.

I'm making up numbers now, but suppose the bus with no
modules plugged in is 60 ohms and with all modules plugged
in (considering the added capacitance to be distributed) is
30 ohms, then I series terminated the drivers with 15 ohms
and parallel terminated with 120 ohms (two 240 ohm
resisters). In my application, that was adequate to handles
the reflections.

--
Feynman on QED: "I don't understand it.  Nobody does."
Feynman on EM : "our ordinary intuitions are quite wrong."