Re: [SI-LIST] : Critical Parameter: rise-time or slew-rate?

From: Steve Corey ([email protected])
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 13:51:28 PST

Hi Jeff, here's my take on your question:

The answer is, as you might expect, "it depends". Assuming you are
using the TDR to characterize linear interconnects, you are correct in
that the risetime is the most important parameter, and slew rate does
not matter. Think of the simplest case of a monotone sine wave. In
order to double the amplitude and maintain the slew rate, you must halve
the frequency.

The concept of characterizing a system over a specific frequency range,
without additional information on the input signals, is only valid for
linear systems (linear within the region of operation). This is because
they are described by a normalized transfer function ('normalized' means
the amplitude of the input signal drops out, as you have surmised).
Since the transfer function is independent of the input signal, you may
excite the system with nearly any waveform (not only arbitrary
amplitude) and determine the transfer function. The only stipulation on
the above excitation waveform is that it have sufficient frequency
content, which is better guaranteed, as shown above by example, by
matching or exceeding the risetime of a signal which would be used in
practice, and not necessarily the slew rate. Once the transfer function
is known, you may then determine the response of the system to an
"arbitrary" input, which must not contain frequency content that wasn't
present in the excitation used in the prior characterization step.

**However**, if you are exciting a nonlinear system, you must specify
both risetime and amplitude, since the transfer function is dependent on
the amplitude and frequencies of the input signal. In the case of
digital circuit, pretty clearly scaling an input step from 5V down to
500mV will not cause exactly 1/10 the output as the 5V step. By
matching both the risetime and amplitude, you have implicitly matched
the slew rate.

Finally, it is important to remember that matching risetime (and in the
case of a nonlinear sytem, amplitude) will generally only provide a
first-order approximation to your system waveforms, since the shape of
the waveform also contains (typically second-order) frequency content
information. For linear systems, this may be directly calibrated out in
a general fashion (typically done by software post-processing), whereas
for nonlinear systems it remains an open problem.

I hope this is clear -- let me know if it's not.

  -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.
"The Interconnect Modeling Company."