Home Frequencies Digital EmComm

NF4CA License
CARES Constitution

Florida ARES Task Book

Welcome to the Columbia County ARES program!
The primary partner we support is the Columbia County Emergency Management. Members who meet all requirements and accept a preassignment for deployment to a local shelter will be issued an ID card. All other amateur radio operators may participate as ARES® operators from their home unless deployed through another agency such as American Red Cross, Salvation Army, MARS, etc. Locally, in Columbia County, all ARES members who desire to participate in emergency deployments for county shelters or the Emergency Operations Center must meet the basic requirement of at least the IS-100, IS-700, and pass a level 2 background check. Hams who wish to be called up as mutual aid communications resources for regional, statewide, or national deployments will also need IS-200 and IS-800 certifications.

Columbia ARES Application

FEMA Student ID
ICS Online classes
ARRL Online classes

Band Plan
Area Nets

Older Headlines

2022 Training Survey

Help us as we plan for new training opportunities.
Please take a few minutes to answer the questions in this survey. As we do exercises, we discover areas we need to train in. We also would like to know what you are interested in learning. Take Survey Here.

Online NTS/Radiogram Training

Some of the feedback that was received during the month of March is that many operators know how to fill out a radiogram form, but some aren’t aware of where to find a net to transmit it on or how to read them on the air. To help with this, our Section Traffic Manager Helen-WC4FSU, and Matt-KD8TTE who spoke in Orlando, will provide an open training session for those interested to learn about where and how formal traffic can make its way into the NTS. Training will be held via Zoom on April 20 at 5:30P CDT/6:30P EDT. No registration is required, simply click this link when it is time to join.

Field Day 2021

As always Field Day is the last full weekend of June.

Read the updated plan here.
View the planned layout here.

Hurricane Season 2021

NOAA predicts another active Atlantic hurricane season

May 20, 2021--NOAA's Climate Prediction Center is predicting another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season. Forcasters predict a 60% chance of an above normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season.However, experts do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020.
Read rest of story here.
Watch this video summary of the Outlook.

Columbia County ARES Meeting – Saturday January 14th 2023

Upcoming Columbia ARES meeting on Saturday January 14, 2023 at 10:00am. This will be in our club station room at Lake City Baptist Temple. Among other items we will talk about the NFL ARES Taskbook, monthly meetings, and old and new digital methods. Bring your laptop and radio/go-box.

Columbia County ARES Meeting – Saturday November 19th 2022

Upcoming Coulmbia ARES meeting on Saturday November 19, 2022 at 10:00am. This will be in our club station room at Lake City Baptist Temple. I will try to publish an agenda but the plan is to finalize the After Action Report from Ian and do Winlink setup and training. Bring your laptop and radio/go-box.

November 7, 2022

Governor Ron DeSantis Declares State of Emergency for Nicole

Read the declaration here.

So far Columbia County is not included in this declaration. We are in the three day cone as issued by the National Hurricane Center in Miami.

Please check into the tuesday night net (11/8/22)on the 146.940 repeater to see if there are any updates from the Columbia EOC.

There will be an ARES net starting on Wednesday (11/09/22) at 7:00pm on the 145.490 repeater until we are clear or activated. This will be a short net each night to give updates on the storm.

September 24, 2022

The October S.E.T. has been postponed.

September 23, 2022

Governor Ron DeSantis Declares State of Emergency for Ian

Read yesterday's declaration here.

WX4NHC Annual Station Communications Test – Saturday May 28th 2022

The annual WX4NHC On Air Communications Test has been set for Saturday May 28th, 2022 and WX4NHC will be on the air on the VoIP Hurricane Net system Echolink conference node: 7203/IRLP 9219 from 4-5 PM EDT (2000-2100z). Other Amateur Radio modes will be utilized and those details are listed in the announcement below from WD4R-Julio Ripoll, Assistant WX4NHC Coordinator.

Announcement from WX4NHC

Armed Forces Day

Armed Forces Day

This Saturday, May 14th will be a special DOD Drill. We will have the opportunity to interact with some Department of Defense stations. They will transmit on out of Ham frequiencies and will announce where they will be listening in the Ham frequiencies.

Watch the YouTube video by our friend Matthew, KD8TTE in Ohio, and check out the pdf.

Colorado State University issues Forcasting for 2022 Hurricane Season

More active than normal, again!
Read Forcast here.
Read Extended Forcast here.

Field Day 2022

Yes, It's coming! Field Day is always the last full weekend in June, and now is the time to practice and test our equipment.

We will beholding TWO practice days this Year. April 2 and April 16. They both will be in our practice yard at 148 SW Slash Lane, Lake City.

Register on this Google form and read the plan here

We will start gathering around 9:00AM and begin setting things up at 9:30AM The first will be for setting our VHF station, tower with antennas, feedline, radios and alternate power. The second will be to test our HF stations. We will put up multiple antennas, aradios alternate power etc.

June 25 and 26, 2022
Again this year we will be holding our Field Day Event at Aligator Lake Park in Lake City. We had a good time last year, more than doubling our points from the previous year (prior to the Covid blackout). We hope to increase our effort this year and plan to have 3 stations instead of 2.

All the details are in the ExPlan which is posted here (link below) for you to read. Set-up will begin when the park opens at 8:00am and the event officially starts at 2:00pm. This year we are inviting our guests, elected officals, girl scouts and others, to come between 2:00 and 4:00 pm.

In order to have the three stations and generate more points we will need as many operators as possible! Please use the link below and schedule some time that you will be willing to operate. You can sign up for as many 2 hour blocks as you want. Someone will be able to help you get comfortable with the equipment and procedures if this will be your first time.

Register on this Google form and read the plan here

National Forcast Chart:

National Weather Service Jacksonville
Latest Weather Briefing
Upcoming Virtual Storm Spotter Classes - Register Here

Tropical Weather Outlook:


  • Columbia Amateur Radio Society

  • Columbia County Emergency Management

  • Columbia County Alert

  • ARRL - North Florida ARES

  • Florida Division of Emergency Management

  • Hurricane Watch Net

  • WX4NHC

  • VoIP Weather Net